Re: [modeling-pmc] Infrastructure Changes

Rich, Max, everyone:

In order to speed up the time required to get the stuff* in CVS munged into
a shape that everyone's happy with, and not require extra support from
Denis & Matt as far as permissions, would everyone agree that one quick
solution would be to set up a CVS repo on emft.eclipse.org and begin the
migration work there?

That server is a vserver running Fedora Core 4, and I've got root access so
we can do anything we want on it.

I can create /cvsroot/modeling and on the box and into it put copies of
what's on dev.eclipse. I'll set up userids for anyone who needs 'em, which
ought to be the same as your ids for accessing dev.eclipse.org (for
simplicity). Currently, SSH access is restricted to allowing users to
connect only FROM dev.eclipse.org, but if you have static IP addresses and
want to connect directly (which you'd need to access its cvs repo), just
let me know your IP or IP block and I'll add you to the firewall.

An added bonus to doing things this way is that when we migrate this
content back to dev.eclipse, we won't carry need to all the cvs history and
thus can keep the files cleaner.

Also, emft.eclipse.org is the build server for half of emft's builds (the
ones with non-IBM committers), so we'd be able to prototype the new
emft/emf/uml2/gmf/gef UberBuilder and run builds on the same machine
(making debugging easier since you can see the cvs content and console out
in the same place).

* stuff = releng builder code modified/merged + plugins/tests/doc/examples
reorganized

If we're in agreement, send me your dev.eclipse.org usernames (and IP
addresses) and I'll add you onto the box. If you have a different idea,
please propose it.

BTW, I've now got Yahoo and MSN accounts under the names nickboldt and
nick@xxxxxxxxxxxxx (plus Skype: nickboldt), respectively, should anyone
need to reach me in an IM way.

Cheers,

--
Nick Boldt :: Software Developer, IBM Toronto Lab
Eclipse Modeling Framework :: http://eclipse.org/emf

Monday, July 24, 2006 8:03 AM