Re: [mihini-dev] Questions regarding the Mihini development process

Hi Wayne,

Thank you for the feedback.

> Can you describe the project's development process?
Well as you point out, our development process for Mihini is not totally clear, even for us. Let me give some explanation about that. As you may know, Mihini was an existing commercial product for some years now. Sierra Wireless found in its interests and for the interests of other parties to release this product as opensource. That at least explains why there is a ‘big’ chunk as initial contrib. Also because all our history does not pass Eclipse IP rules, and all our developers are not Eclipse committer, it was decided to flatten the initial chunks.

All that was done hastily, because we thought that releasing some code asap was important, and that we could sort out the details later on.

> Is the project operating in an open and transparent manner as required by the Eclipse Development Process [0]?

We make everything we can to make it that way!

> All of the commits in the repository [1] appear to be authored by a single individual. Is this correct?

See above comment.

>It seems a little odd to me that all of the commits appear to have been created in three separate chunks, and that two of those chunks occur on Fridays. Is all >development actually occurring on Friday, or is there something else happening?

See above comment. Yes it is weird, and yes we want to improve it!

>Can somebody describe for me what is happening in this commit: [2]? What is the "non-free" submodule?

Everything is public. It is in our own interest to *not* fork our commercial product and keep the same code base for both Mihini and our commercial product. We do not want to double the workload. The content of non-free module is actually opensource code as well ! Only it was refused by eclipse IP checking because of licensing issues, mainly. Retrospectively also the inclusion was indeed done in the wrong way.

In the end, not everybody in the team is proficient with the Eclipse way of doing things. But we want to improve! We do have constraints though, as I said before Mihini was an existing commercial product. We also are a small team of developers, and we need to organize in a way that it is fully compatible with Eclipse process, and still have the ability to have a commercial product. That include the git repository, but not only, we’ll have the same issues with the wiki, bug tracker, etc…

I am happy to have a chat with you or other people to help us organize in a proper Eclipse manner. But in the end, be convinced that the team here is composed of individual that are OpenSource enthusiasts and that we make everything we can to make that project work !

Cuero

Cuero Bugot  ::   Embedded R&D Manager

SIERRA WIRELESS  ::  AirLink Business Unit

Main  +33 (0)5 61 00 52 90  ::  Direct  +33 (0)5 61 00 06 53 ::  Mobile  +33 (0)7 61 79 01 45 ::  Fax  +33 (0)5 61 00 51 46

Lake Park - Zac de l'Hers - Allée du Lac - BP 87216  ::  31672 Labège Cedex, France

cbugot@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx :: www.sierrawireless.com

This message and any attachments (the "Message") are confidential and intended solely

for the addressees. Any unauthorized modification, edition, use or dissemination is prohibited.

Neither Sierra Wireless nor any of its subsidiaries shall be liable for the Message if altered,

changed, falsified or edited, diffused without authorization.

Back to the top