RE: [mdt-sbvr.dev] SBVR-uml designation.gif

Dave,

Although modeling representation as a composite of expression works better
with EMF, it has an unfortunate side effect of not allowing homonymous
expressions, since composition places representation and expression in a 1:1
relationship in the proposed model. It is possible, even common, for a given
expression to represent more than one meaning. For example, bank: (1)
financial services establishment; (2) land alongside or sloping down to a
river or lake; (3) a set or series of similar things.
Representation:expression are *:1. The proposed model also does not allow
expressions that do not represent some meaning, e.g. "farb".

SBVR has open-world semantics. Our model should avoid adding constraints not
in the spec.

Note that in the spec, figure 8.4, representation is modeled as an
association class. The reason for this is that "representation" is the
objectification of the fact type "expression represents meaning", i.e. an
instance of "representation" is an instance of the fact type, as is the case
with an association class. This is further indicated by the definition of
representation: actuality that a given expression represents a given
meaning. An expression can exist and not represent anything. A meaning can
exist and not have a representation (this is related to blank nodes in OWL
and Skolemization). However, a representation always has exactly one
expression and represents exactly one meaning.

Regards,

Stan