Re: [mdt-ocl.dev] Java Versions

What's EMF doing? We depend on its latest version.

Best,
-- Axel

On 3/23/2011 4:18 AM, Adolfo Sánchez-Barbudo Herrera wrote:
Ed, Axel, Laurent

Maybe I'm exposing stupid questions but I want to be sure we are all
speaking the same idiom, and please make any correction if necessary...

- What is "Develope with Java6" ? I guess you mean you using a JRE 1.6
to run our Eclipse IDE ?. In this case, I'm also using Java 1.6 and I
agree with axel the JVM 1.6 should increase our IDE performance. No
other side effects from the development point of view (Well, perhaps "a
side effect" is that you won't be able to create Java 1.6 code unless
you install other JREs: Window -> Prferences -> Java -> Installed JREs)

- What is "with Java 5 compatibility" ? I guess you mean configuring the
IDE (specifically, JDT) so that we can work with Java 1.5 code which:
1. can be compiled by a Java 1.5 compiler
2. the compiled byte code maybe executed by a JRE 1.5.
3. JDT helps us to deal with such a Java 1.5 code: Proper
warnings/errors in the editors, quick fixes suitable for the java 1.5
compiler, etc

This configuration is made doing the following : Window -> Preferences
-> Java -> Compiler -> Compiler compliance level: 1.5

- Which compiler should we use, to build our code ?
1. Using a Java 1.5 compiler, will produce bytecode executable by both
JRE 1.5 and JRE 1.6.
2. Using a Java 1.6 compiler, will produce bytecode executable only by
JRE 1.6 (Sometimes, I've found problems (bad class version execeptions)
around Eclipse due to this situation).

So, taking into account that we set the J2SE-1.5 as the required
execution environment we must probably compile our code with a Java 1.5
compiler, otherwise we are not complying with our own specifications.

On the other hand, David commented that Indigo installation will now
require a JRE1.6 which may invite us to change our minimun execution
environment requirement. However, Laurent has exposed a different use
case which having such a Java 1.5 compatibily could be useful (BTW
Laurent, have you tested an Indigo Acceleo + OCL in a Eclipse Ganymede
?¿? I'm very sceptical about this ;P ) ...

Furthermore, unless we need any specific need/advantage from Java 1.6,
I'm also inclined to keep the Java 1.5 compatibility.

Best Regards,
Adolfo.