Re: [mdt-ocl.dev] Re: Refactoring the OCL evaluation visitor

Hi

Even more fundamental is a question/statement that Alex has raised in a couple of threads:

Does OCL support dynamic operation dispatch?

I think it should do, but I haven't combed the specifications looking for positive or negative
indications.

"OCL 2.1 10.3.7 OperationCallExpEval

The definition of the semantics of the operation call expression depends on the definition of operation call execution in the UML semantics. This is part of the UML infrastructure specification, and will not be defined here"

UML clearly does support dynamic dispatch and OCL is struggling for UML alignment.

I can't find anything in UML infrastructure; just an unhelpful comment that suggests that the substitutability
of redefined operations is a semantic variation point.
Perhaps OCL has to support user choice of semantics!

The OCL AST is inadequate since in the case where dynamic dispatch is required we need a boolean flag to indicate whether through qualification the user has specified exactly A::b() or
just b(). The former should not be dynamically resolved.

   Regards

         Ed Willink

Back to the top