Re: [mdt-ocl.dev] OCL versions

Hi All,

I agree that OMG web page is a little bit confusing. It's also confusing that when we were expecting to approve the OCL 2.1 version specification, in the last minute the version number was changed to OCL 2.2. How knows, if they have decided to change the name again, although I would bet that the final specification will be released with the 2.2 version number, specially when the OCL 2.3 RTF has been established in the web page. In any case, I think that the 2.1 or 2.2 version number is irrelevant at this moment.

I remember that most of the voters did their work (I could only add my efforts against the second ballot). However, I can't certainly say if they really read and/or understood the corrections. I can only speak about myself, and I must say that all the second ballot issues were supervised (which it doesn't mean that all the issues got the correct/best resolution ;P).

About MDT-OCL 3.0.0. Sorry, I read about it, but I haven't said anything. I think we must find an answer to the following questions:

Why MDT-OCL 1.3.0 has a plugin versioned as 2.0.0 (UML one). Is this intentional, or just a Christian's mistake ?. Should have all the plugins been versioned as 2.0.0. I guess that if we have an answer to this question, we must get the clue of which version number must be given to the MDT-OCL project in the Helios release:

If it's intentional/valid/correct: MDT-OCL 2.0.0 would have org.eclipse.ocl and org.eclipse.ocl.ecore 2.0.0 plugins and org.eclipse.ocl.uml 3.0.0 plugin.
If it's just a mistake: MDT-OCL 3.0.0 would have all their plugins in the 3.0.0 version.

The last possibility is: In spite of being intentional/valid/correct, we may want to have all the plugins in the 3.0.0 version. From my point of view it's a little bit strange stepping from MDT-OCL 1.3.0 to MDT-OCL 3.0.0. In any case, I think that we must be lighted by Kenn or another PMC. I don't honestly know if there is any policy/guideline relating to this issue.

Cheers,
Adolfo.

Ed Willink escribió:
Hi

This gets more confusing.

OMG->Members->Work In Progress now identifies the OCL 2.3 RTF. A few days ago this was OCL 2.2 RTF.
The voting list deadline is passed, the public comment deadline is 10 April 2010.

OMG->Members->Issues leads to http://www.omg.org/issues/ocl2-rtf.open.html the
"Issues for OCL 2.2 Revision Task Force mailing list" from which the 2.1 resolutions have been pruned.

OMG->Specifications->UML...->OCL->Revision:Contact gets to http://www.omg.org/techprocess/meetings/schedule/OCL_2_RTF.html
that identifies the OCL 2.1 RTF with a Beta 2 specification
just awaiting a Fax vote by 28th August. This resolves about 33% of the issues. Neither 09-05-01
nor 09-05-02 provides a changebar free copy of the specification.

So I think that we will be implementing the OCL 2.1 in so far as possible given the number of outstanding
issues. OCL 2.1 seems to be the next version, possibly released in September.

No 2.2.

The next next OCL possibly in 2010 will be 2.3.

There is no point discussing issues resolved in 2.1. They are ballotted and approved regardless
of how few people voted and even fewer understood their meaning.

I shall therefore probably raise new issues for null/invalid to avoid confusion with resolved issues.

It would appear that the low level of member participation encourages submissions that are formatted
as resolutions. This should increase our confidence in raising issues that have a reasonable
prospect of adoption.

NB.  Issue 13944: [OCL-2.1 RTF] Transitive closure operator (ocl2-rtf), which I think everyone
can agree on. We could do it. Oops, reading on. Christian has already implemented it and
provided a ProblemOption.CLOSURE_ITERATOR mechanism for switching it on and off
by configuring the environment. This is similar to my extensibility suggestions.

Adolfo: Have you had time to consider the discussion leading to MDT-OCL 3.0.0?

    Regards

       Ed Willink