Re: [mdt-ocl.dev] MDT-OCL project organisation for add-ons (editor etc)

Hi Alex

It's not easy at all. Many IMP classes provide useful base class functionality, and many of its interfaces are used in function signatures. A simple wrapper providing name-occluding derived classes gives erroneous types. It would be necessary to put a delegating wrapper around every re-used interface, and change the types in all affected functions. Trying to find a boundary between the useful and probably not used parts of IMP runtime is very difficult. Everything looks like it ought to be useful.

A much easier solution. Since IMP runtime no longer has any nasty dependencies of its own, we just ship a lib/imp.jar in the abstract editor plugin. The jar contains a bug-fixed org.eclipse.imp.runtime plug-in. Derived editors will see the org.eclipse.imp.runtime. No one else will.

The jar is just over 1MB so it's not too bad to treat it as a CVS source.

Suggested plugin names.

org.eclipse.ocl.edit - EMF generated edit functionality
org.eclipse.ocl.editor - EMF generated editor functionality
org.eclipse.ocl.editor.ui - abstract editor functionality
org.eclipse.ocl.ecore.editor.ui - OCL editor wth Ecore binding
org.eclipse.ocl.uml.editor.ui  - OCL editor wth UML2 binding

and

org.eclipse.ocl.editor-feature

The UI capabilities should allow either Ecore or UML2 or both bindings to be disabled.

The plug-in should work with 1.3.0, so as a pure add-on we could offer it for 1.3.1 apart from the Model Registry problem. Sven assures me that this is within the scope of EMF Index and already available. I can't find any documentation so it's hard. Hopefully the QVT Declarative Model Registry can be contributed to EMF Index in some useful way.

   Regards

      Ed Willink

ed@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Hi Alex

After some thinking, not using IMP will solve many problems.

Currently relatively little of IMP's capabilities are actually used. IMP
was very useful in showing how some problems were tackled, but a little
irritating in its failure to fix problems.

It should be quite easy to first put a wrapper around IMP, then
reimplement directly on SWT within that wrapper. When IMP is stable and/or
offers sufficient added value we can revert to using IMP.

No problems with external dependencies on IMP or LPG 2. We just have a
significant extension to OCL that is not described as Incubation. We may
just need a significant IPlog credit to IMP if I cut and paste larger
parts of IMP code.

    Regards

         Ed Willink

Hi Alex

I forgot to mention; The current QVT Declarative CVS uses the OCL Ecore
binding. My development version uses the OCL UML binding and automatically
converts Ecore or EMOF meta-models to UML so that the editor works any any
normal representation.

     Ed