Re: [mat-dev] Next release of Memory Analyzer

Kevin>mentally dividing by 1024*1024 when discussing byte values they see in MAT in terms of MB (or GB, etc.)

On the other hand, 2MiB would not differ that much from 2KiB. Current display format makes it clear: lots of digits ==> problem.
"Smart" format would require everybody to watch carefully for a letter in the middle of the value. That is a notable cognitive load.

1) I often see java.math.BigInteger (BigDecimal) in heap dumps, and it is a pity MAT misses default resolvers for that. In other words, its is hard to tell the value by analyzing the dump.
https://imgflip.com/i/2h7pvt :)

2) I often see middle-sized strings (e.g. 20KiB SQL or XML), and it would be great if MAT could show that string in a popup window (with line wraps).

3) I wonder if MAT could show HashMaps in plain key-value list by default.
Currently "outgoing references" shows hashMap$Entry objects, and it takes time to browse around. It would be so much better if "outgoing references" for map-like objects would open a flat list of entry objects (virtual ones). Of course regular (raw) view is required as well, however I think "virtual entries" view should be a default for map-like objects.

Are the ideas relevant? Could they fit into the subsequent release? (when is the release planned?)

Vladimir

Back to the top