Re: [mat-dev] MAT API in a command line tool

It's a specific tool. The background is that I want to collect some information about class loaders and class loader leaks and for that want to create a command line tool that people could download, run on a heap dump and send the results back to me. I got the class loader leak detection all figured out, but the tool I built on JHat was one big memory hole. So I want to use the MAT parser and dominant tree analysis (btw awesome work, guys), but ran into the whole OSGi thing.

I'm not sure if the analysis can be recorded as the XML (haven't taken a look at it yet), but it wouldn't solve my problem as I don't want people to install MAT. I actually managed to hack a version of MAT core without Eclipse dependencies (basically replace all the factory lookups with implementations and delete a bunch of code), but since the messaging depends heavily on Eclipse I'm not 100% sure that it works (it does produce results, though). A better way would probably be building a command line app that depends on your bundles, so I'm looking for some pointers from the OSGi experts :)

JK

On 16.03.2010, at 13:32, Tsvetkov, Krum wrote:

Hi,

Do you 1) want to build a tool which just does some specific check (without the GUI) and outputs the result somewhere? If so, then the answer from Andrew should be sufficient.

Or are you 2) thinking of using the APIs to work with heap dumps and offer command line interface for this? And if so, do you think of implementing new queries/features, or you just want to expose the existing ones via command line? At the very beginning the tool had a command line interface (it was still before moving to Eclipe). And then it had both GUI and command line. At some moment we dropped the command line. But most of the queries are done in such a way, that the results which are returned are not bound to the UI – they can be rendered in SWT and in HTML. Therefore if you are happy with the existing functionality and want to expose it via console, you can implement the part rendering the results to a console, and a way to call something from a specific line (e.g. like a context menu). It doesn’t exist.

I guess we can give better answers if we understand better what you need.

Regards,
Krum

From: mat-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:mat-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Jevgeni Kabanov
Sent: Sonntag, 14. März 2010 20:47
To: mat-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [mat-dev] MAT API in a command line tool

Hi guys,

I want to build a small command-line analysis tool using the MAT APIs. I found the following page:

Does this mean that I should build my own OSGi bundle/application that would depend on the headless parts of MAT and use the API to analyze the heap? What would be a good place to start? Did anyone have any experiences building command line tools with MAT that you could point me to?

Thanks!

me
Jevgeni Kabanov: Founder & CTO at ZeroTurnaround
jevgeni@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx | Skype: ekabanov | http://twitter.com/ekabanov
"Google Collections and JRebel combine to make Java more pleasant to work with." - greg