Re: [m2t-dev] What's the difference between Xpand and Acceleo?

Hi,

Another important difference is that Xpand is integrated with
model-to-model transformation language - Xtend. Thus, Xpand can be
used for M2M and M2T at the same time. AFAIK Acceleo is not yet
integrated with QVT and in many problems you need to develop the same
function twice or even 3 times.
Xpand has incremental code generation in not yet released version 0.8,
which is a must in some big projects.
Acceleo has (at least the old one had) better tracing support.

Xpand is not standard based and because of that it is more productive
(IMO). It is actually one big integrated family - Xpand (and Xtend),
MWE (ant-like definition of transformations chain), Xtext(textual DSL)
- that integrates well.
Acceleo must follow the standard, Xpand don't. Both have good adoption
in industry and they differ enough to justify their existence.

If your company uses Acceleo it is not likely that it will be changed,
so be ready to ask question and provide feedback but you should do
that on the M2T newsgroup (look for it on eclipse.org) not on the
developers mailing list.

Unfortunately there are ~6 overlapping M2T languages in Eclipse, 3
important are in M2T project, and one with the best documentation is
in Modeling -> GMT -> Epsilon project. GMF is using its own version of
xpand so it is a bit confusing.

Regards,
Krzysztof Kowalczyk