Re: [m2m-iwg] MQTT vs DDS

YAPSP (yet another pub sub protocol). DDS recognizes the importance of discovery and of metadata, two areas that I think the M2M WG should address soon.  DDS also supports peer to peer scenarios.

The best approach might be to treat all of the historical artifacts of DDS, MQTT, COAP et al as inputs into the über protocol for M2M, one that addresses not only communications but also enables applications to be created more quickly.  We need to move beyond a data centric approach to include services/RPC, event streams, and so on.

To that end, we at ThingWorx would gladly contribute our metadata and discovery model into the public domain if there is interest. It is protocol and format agnostic, though there are concrete formats for XML, JSON, and binary streams. We have implemented it on top of HTTP, XMPP, and Websockets

If there's genuine interest, I can explore the process for doing this.

Rick