Re: [m2m-iwg] Consumer device security (was: M3DA presentation)

Thanks, that clarifies it for me.

I think we are basically in agreement on the user experience and
interface.  My only additional stipulations to what you've stated are:

The devices must behave at least as well as a dumb device of the same type
if deployed without connectivity.
Once provisioned, the devices must continue to function when the network
is down.
The devices must expose an API accessible to the local network.
The local transport must support pub/sub topologies.

The most compelling applications require correlation across many different
device types and information sources.  They won't emerge until we have a
legal and technological framework to aggregate and correlate it.  Right
now, that's easy if the data and app both reside locally, very difficult
if the data flows first to vendors.  Hence, local data, API and inquiry is
Apple in this scenario whereas encrypted tunnel of data back to the vendor
is Palm, even with a really good phone app to back it up.

-- T.Rob