Re: [m2m-iwg] AXEDA Comments on MQTT contribution to ECLIPSE PAHO & OASIS

On Mon, Jan 28, 2013 at 3:37 PM, Rick Bullotta <rick.bullotta@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Thanks for the feedback.  A few clarifications:

1)      When I refer to discovery, I am referring to discovery and browsing of subscribable topics and such

Aha, gotcha. Yes, good thought.

2)      We’ll have to agree to disagree on the critical importance of rich metadata.  Having built two platforms for industrial & M2M integration, I can attest to the incredible utility of this capability (and it is directly tied to discovery).  Though perhaps we are actually saying the same thing, just a question of whether it is part of the MQTT spec or some other spec.  If it becomes moved to another spec, I think it is important to set appropriate expectations as to what MQTT is and what it isn’t, as there is a great deal of confusing/misinformation in the market on that topic

OK. I did wonder as I typed that, whether we are agreeing! :-)

My personal view is that MQTT is the transport, and the fact that it doesn't impose any structure on the data means that it's potentially very flexible. I agree that (as you and Matteo both say) understanding formats and metadata is critical (I did integration projects at IBM for 10 years myself, with MQTT and with WMQ and other messaging technologies, so I understand your view on this I think). I think that codifying data formats in the MQTT spec would significantly complicate it, though.

Having the M2M IWG coordinate discussions and draw up specs for data, topic hierarchies for different industries etc is my understanding of the goal here, but I might be coming at things from the wrong angle.

LMK if there’s a public wiki and I’ll be happy to contribute some thoughts/content.

Well, there's the M2M section on the Eclipse wiki - probably best for metadata discussions etc.
For the protocol specifically, I already linked to the mqtt.org wiki where we've been pulling together thoughts and potential requirements for later revs. Would appreciate your input!

Andy

Cheers,

Rick