Re: [m2m-iwg] AXEDA Comments on MQTT contribution to ECLIPSE PAHO & OASIS

Here’s the call for a TC charter for MQTT.

https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/oasis-charter-discuss/201301/msg00008.html

From: m2m-iwg-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:m2m-iwg-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Rick Bullotta
Sent: Saturday, January 26, 2013 3:49 PM
To: m2m Industry Working Group
Subject: Re: [m2m-iwg] AXEDA Comments on MQTT contribution to ECLIPSE PAHO & OASIS

Well, someone at OASIS is trying to bring MQTT under their auspices, as I’ve received specific solicitations to that effect asking if we wanted to participate…

Also, I think a LOT more focus needs to be placed on some of the significant functional gaps in the current MQTT protocol, and on capabilities that would greatly improve interoperability and integration.

Notably, these include:

-          Discovery capabilities

-          Stronger typing and metadata for payloads

-          Semantics for data, events, services, blob/file and stream content (all essential for a modern M2M platform)

-          Standardizing a REST API model

-          Store-and-forward best practices/reference implementations for occasionally connected devices

-          …and so on…

Those items would go a long way towards helping MQTT achieve its full potential as a general purpose M2M protocol, API, and standard.

Rick Bullotta

ThingWorx