Re: [m2m-iwg] AXEDA Comments on MQTT contribution to ECLIPSE PAHO & OASIS

There are mix of things there Mats. Perhaps we can start to sort them out on the next call?

.....................Scott

From:        Mats Samuelsson <msamuelsson@xxxxxxxxx>
To:        "m2m-iwg@xxxxxxxxxxx" <m2m-iwg@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date:        01/25/2013 03:03 PM
Subject:        [m2m-iwg] AXEDA Comments on MQTT contribution to ECLIPSE PAHO &        OASIS
Sent by:        m2m-iwg-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

All,

Below are a set of high level comments and some suggestions.

----------------------

The protocol appears to be mature and has useful M2M features. We were impressed by some of the design decisions; for example the very specific Quality of Service designations and the Last Will and Testament feature. There were a couple things we did not like and would like to see addressed in an upcoming revision:

Client ID
1.       The behavior to disconnect existing clients if a client connects to the broker with the same client ID is not ideal. It would be nice if the protocol specified that the broker should auto-assign an unused client ID. Perhaps this could be an option sent in one of the header fields?
2.       It would be great if the client ID could hold at a minimum a UUID length of characters.

MQTT-S
1.       The community needs a public reference implementation of MQTT-S. When we performed our research on MQTT around October of 2012 we were unable to find any public implementations of MQTT-S. I remember seeing that the reason for this is that there are legal issues surrounding the MQTT-S spec somewhere on the MQTT Google Group.

Lua
1.       We are very interested in the Paho MQTT Lua client, however, as of October 2012 it was missing a significant number of features which according to the Paho roadmap are supposed to be fixed or implemented in Q1-2013…

Best Practices
1.       It would be great if there was a list of “best practices” and “things to know” when using MQTT; for example, should hierarchies be very deep or flat.

Finally, we wonder if the most appropriate use for MQTT is for short-haul communication between nodes/sensors communicating with a gateway rather than as the long haul protocol used by a gateway to communicate with an M2M cloud service provider.

We would like to discuss during Tuesday’s conference call and during a PAHO call later next week! We are ready to engage fully in these activities.

Mats

Mats Samuelsson
Axeda Corporation | Director Connectivity Product Management
tel 508-530-5359 | mobile 508-333-3040
msamuelsson@xxxxxxxxx |