Re: [m2m-iwg] Feedback on Mihini proposal

Benjamin.

De : Benjamin CABE <BCabe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Répondre à : m2m Industry Working Group <m2m-iwg@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date : jeudi 16 août 2012 17:37
À : m2m Industry Working Group <m2m-iwg@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Objet : [m2m-iwg] Feedback on Mihini proposal

All,

During our call on Tuesday I proposed to share with you a summary of the feedback we have received regarding the Mihini project proposal so far.

In a nutshell:
  • The fact that Mihini will propose a Lua API is very well received and even more, it seems to be a natural choice for most people ;
  • Companies that have shown interest in participating to the project include: Wipro, Verizon, Thingworx ; our mentors will be from Windriver and Twitter ;
  • There are also several individuals who shown interest, including one Lua community member with an interesting project allowing to make Linux system calls directly from Lua [1] ;
  • There are questions [2] whether device management will rely on existing standards such as OMA-DM (answer: Mihini aims at having an independent communication/transport layer therefore Device Management over OMA-DM will be possible, but not part of the initial contribution). There was a similar discussion [3] on LinkedIn where someone asked if MQTT is the only protocol being worked on (same answer…) ;
  • There are questions [2] about the modularity of the framework (answer: Mihini initial contribution will be modular in that it is possible to build/deploy only the features you need ; it might make sense to investigate whether there is a need for enabling/disabling features dynamically at runtime too) ;
  • There are questions [2] on the REST API, in particular is this API intended to be accessed remotely (answer: primary purpose of this API is to enable local control for tools such as an IDE, but "mounting" this API for remote access is definitely something that I think our Working Group should try to work on) ;
  • The project proposal got featured in an article on JAXEnter [4] ;
  • I also blogged [5] about the project, including how I think it will also be useful to the hobbyist community (we've mentioned several times during our talks that we might want to provide demos running on the Raspberry Pi, the BeagleBone or similar low-cost targets).
I am looking forward to discussing with you guys what is IMO very valuable feedback , and see what we can do to create better synergies between all our ongoing efforts.

As I said during the call, I suggest to have these discussion on the IWG mailing list, if that works for everyone. When the Mihini project will be provisioned (we are in the proposal phase, waiting for the trademark review to actually create and provision the project), discussions will likely happen on a dedicated mailing list…

Cheers,
Benjamin

Back to the top