[m2e-users] war artifacts, glassfish, m2e - a neverending painful story

Folks;

once in a while, I come back with the same issue, and over and over again, it
is utterly painful. :( So, this time: Had to re-install Eclipse 4.2 on a new
machine. Kept my workspace folder in place, installed all the plugins I used
to have before (Oracle Glassfish tools, JBoss tools, Spring IDE and a few
others). Saw that the workspace configuration, application servers configured in
there, ..., were still in place. Maven building my war artifacts also works.

However, again, deploying a war artifact to a local Glassfish from within the
IDE is dearly broken. Building the war artifact via maven and deploying it
using the Glassfish administration console just works. However, in Eclipse at
first I had to figure out that, despite I kept my workspace untouched,
"something" messed up my "Deployment Assembly" configuration, again including
source files but omitting the maven dependencies which have to go to WEB-
INF/lib - I am almost used to manually setting this right, even though I have
no idea why this setting is being reset after re-installing the IDE -
shouldn't this be something to live inside the workspace / project
configuration? Same way, other settings (such as Java 1.6 compiler compliance)
seem to have "disappeared" from the project configuration. Maybe some other
settings, too - so far I see peculiar errors I have never seen before whenever
trying to deploy the artifact to the local Glassfish server, but as well, using
the tooling in Eclipse, I don't see any way to figure out _what_ actually does
get deployed, _where_ these files live and _how_ the IDE determines what should
be deployed and what shouldn't. The glassfish-web.xml sometimes seems to be
evaluated (though not all the time). Changes in the pom.xml also seem to be
honoured just sometimes, sometimes requiring "just" a redeploy of the app to
produce a different error, sometimes require a restart of the application
server to change anything.

At the moment, I am running out of ideas. So to ask: Is there _anything_,
documentation or a tutorial, a set of FAQs, ... to figure out how on earth to
get such a setup (maven, glassfish, Eclipse) to _reliably_ work even after an
IDE re-installation without spending hours and hours trying to track down
project configuration errors?

Any input on this greatly appreciated. :)
Thanks in advance,
Kristian

Back to the top