Re: [m2e-users] Maven, Enunciate and debugging...

m2e-wtp is expected to honour the <webXml> configuration. If it doesn't, it's likely a bug; Best way to find out is for you to provide a sample  web project that reproduces the problem.

The reason why m2e-wtp doesn't rely on target/<warName> is because WTP is expected to incrementally deploy the web resources from the source directory as soon as they change.
We have no way to know some extra plugin (enunciate or any similar plugin) is incremental-build-friendly and thus should be invoked whenever a web resource is changed, so the byproducts of that invocation could be deployed on the fly by WTP.
So, as I said explained earlier, a workaround is to make WTP explicitely aware of web resources built separately.

If m2e-wtp doesn't work for you, you can try Sonatype's webby as an alternative, but I have no idea if it'll work for your use case.