[m2e-users] What is the Deployed Resources "directory" in m2e-wtp

I create a webapp from an archtype using m2e and it gives me one of these pseudo-directories called "Deployed Resources". This is similar to the way Eclipse "source folders" are "mirrored" in the "real" directory structure under src/main/java etc.

But I began to wonder where this Deployed Resources directory is and I find that it is "really" under target!

That is
Deployed Resources/web-resources/META-INF/cxf/cxf.xml is REALLY
target/m2e-wtp/web-resources/META-INF/cxf/cxf.xml, etc.

So my question is where is the SOURCE directory for this file? Surely not under target? If I want to version control files such as this, where should I put them?

Can someone explain to me the thinking behind this confusing setup and how to work with it?

Thanks.

Back to the top