[m2e-users] Dumb newbie archetype question

Pardon the dumb newbie question but I'm new to archetypes and am being driven crazy by this device that is supposed to make my life simple.

OK, I've upgraded to Eclipse 3.7. I've gotten the latest m2e and m2e-wtp. I want to play with a simple tutorial example first. OK, this looks like a good one: http://www.insaneprogramming.be/?p=140

First step the author recommends:

We're going to start with a basic web application, which in my case means firing up Maven's mvn archetype:generate and choosing the simple webapp archetype. So now we have this:

.
|-- pom.xml
`-- src
    `-- main
        |-- resources
        `-- webapp
            |-- WEB-INF
            |   `-- web.xml
            `-- index.jsp

Evidently, the author thought it was too simple to provide the name of this simple webapp archetype, but doing a little googling, I find that he must mean maven-archetype-webapp from org.apache.maven.archetypes, which is documented to produce the structure he's aiming for.

But lo and behold, I don't find this archetype in the list brought up by m2e. My company's Nexus repository supposedly mirrors maven central. So what gives? Why can't I find this SIMPLE archetype to build this SIMPLE project? Why is this SIMPLE thing taking me all day?

<end-of-rant>

Seriously, I'd appreciate any help. Has this thing been deprecated, removed, or something? How SHOULD I create a simple webapp from an archetype using m2e?

Back to the top