Re: [m2e-users] Maven, Eclipse, Nexus, Perforce, Team City, Oh My!

Cool article.

You are correct: Maven has a very steep learning curve. M2E makes it easier only partially, but still requires an advance Maven Admin on the team/organization.
I wonder: Was the Sonatype book helpful? When I first started, it didn't exist yet and I had to learn only from another person who installed Maven for a living.

Regarding you setup depicted in the article, here are a few comments:
  • Why did you put your Maven repository under "P:\supercool\Maven\repository" and not stick with the convention of ~/.m2/repository (I don't remember the similar path in Windows, but it should be under the User Profile directory)?
  • Why did you not put your settings file as convention goes: ~/.m2/settings.xml?
  • In our team, we softlinked ~/.m2/settings.xml to a source controlled directory everyone has: ~/work/acme/build, thus spreading a new company configuration easily.
Regarding Perforce - Why not git? Git is free, amazingly fast, awfully intuitive, and has integration in all IDEs (Unfortunately best integration is in IntelliJ).
In my professional life I've used many tools: CA's CCC/Harvest, IBM's ClearCase, Subversion, Mercurial, and git.
The best tool I've found was git. One of my favorite feature is the merge - simply outstanding compared to any other tool.

--
Asaf Mesika
Sent with Sparrow