Re: [m2e-users] Plugin execution not covered by lifecycle configuration

Not exactly. Let me explain...

There was never a really meaningful default. What we had did not work
well or did not work at all for many projects. Probably even worse, it
not always worked for many projects, so we had to go through series of
refresh/update dependencies/update configuration/rebuild voodoo (or "m2e
dance" as some called it) to get projects in a good state. For example
MNGECLIPSE-823 [1] was the most voted issues in m2e jira and it was a
direct manifestation of this "flakiness".

The solution we came up with, when fully implemented (!), is expected to
work well for all supported projects out-of-the-box, i.e. without any
changes to pom.xml, but fail fast and gracefully for unsupported
projects, in which case the users will be able to use explicit pom.xml
configuration as a workaround. When you import one of supported projects
in m2e workspace, m2e automatically discovers and installs any
additional required software, so the project "just works" without any
changes to pom.xml.

For this to work, however, m2e needs a library of lifecycle mapping
metadata and corresponding project configurators and we hope m2e user
and adopter community will help growing and maintaining this library.
And if you are interested to help, you can start by submitting an
enhancement request m2e bugzilla. If you want to implement support for
"not covered" plugins used by your project, please join m2e-dev mailing
list and we'll be happy to provide pointers.

Of course, there is a chance we overlooked another, simpler solution, so
if you think you know how to make m2e work reliably and efficiently with
all/many projects while failing gracefully for the rest, please bring
this up on m2e-dev and I will see how is the best to schedule this.

[1] https://issues.sonatype.org/browse/MNGECLIPSE-823

Igor