Re: [m2e-dev] Release for SimRel 2022-06

On Wednesday, May 4, 2022, Hannes Wellmann <wellmann.hannes1@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> I agree with Christoph, that we should really remove all deprecated code before the release.

It's important to release some of the changes for 2022-06, so that consumers and users can benefit ad react to some of the already implemented changes. Maybe we'll fail at delivering all "planned" changes, but that's life; and OSS projects are better releasing some "incomplete" software than delaying releases.
In worst case, we'll start a 3.0 just after 2.0.

> I cannot estimate at the moment how much work that is? If it just has to be deleted, May 20th is possible, if we have to find replacements it could be difficult to be ready then.

Even with estimation, the question is also whether this will become high enough priority to anyone compared to other work. As all of us are involved in multiple projects with important activity, we do not have full control over how much resources we allocate to this or that project and not even a way to properly estimate it. So without clear estimation of resources, it's not so useful to estimate the amount of work.

> One issue I have at the moment with the current snapshot is that many Connectors and Oomph does not work with M2E 2.0 because they were good citizens and specified a proper version range on M2E.

That's exactly the reason why releasing often is important.

> Therefore I cannot test the M2E snapshot in my daily work. But this is likely a chicken-egg problem here. Maybe if we knew definitely what API will be removed we could ask Oomph and others to relax the version range to 3.0 already?

Everything that is deprecated or internal in latest release is likely to be removed. Everything else is not.

Back to the top