Re: [m2e-dev] Removal of "look-for-funding" tag in official repo

On Mon, Jul 19, 2021 at 11:37 AM Christoph Läubrich <laeubi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi Mickael,

sorry for confusion, feel free to remove it in the meanwhile.

I just think we should tag feature (request) somehow that are (yet) not
profitable enough to be addressed by any of the committer of the project
and thus would require some kind of invest (e.g. offering some money,
developer-time, ...) because I found that people are getting frustrated
why "their" feature does not get addressed for a long time.
Maybe we can find a better name for this...

A comment is IMO enough for that. The topic of "who's doing/paying it" fits better in discussions than in project and community management facades; it needs to be clear that -by default- current committers are not really committed into implementing whatever people want and are free to prioritize things according to their own schedules and goals, as long as they behave according to the Eclipse Development Process, and that users should not really expect anything unless they are really contributing to the project (via detailed reports, examples and so on).
Such tags "we won't do it" implies that by default "we will do it", this is even more frustrating for users who may build higher expectations, and -more importantly- for contributors that could feel overwhelmed by a too optimistic and probably unrealistic promise they wouldn't be able to deliver.

I sometimes use the follwoing snippet if I found it suitable, maybe
something similar can be used for CONTRIBUTING.md,

Sure, let's try that. Please submit it as a PR to discuss the details.

Back to the top