Re: [m2e-dev] eclipse-settings-maven-plugin future ?

I mean that in the project config the option "checkstyle activate for
this project" should be checked. See attached screenshot.

Ok thanks.

I do not expect magic. I want a configuration option for maven users via
their POM. This is what maven-eclipse-plugin solved perfectly and made
users very happy.

So this Maven plugin had hardcoded the "magic" that turns checkstyle enablement in pom.xml into the right value for an Eclipse preferences.
It's basically what most m2e connectors are doing; and if this plugin were properly using the Maven BuildContext API as described in https://www.eclipse.org/m2e/documentation/m2e-making-maven-plugins-compat.html to notify if changed the .prefs files, then

I do not expect m2e to know any black-magic or lists of maven plugins.

So how m2e would even know 1. what to read in pom.xml in order to 2. change which Eclipse/Checkstyle setting?

As Simon Bernard and tons of other users already requested since the
last decade m2e could offer a simple config option to configure specific
options that would be written to Eclipse project config (natures,
features, additional config files files).
See [1] for details.

Again, if this plugin were implemented to run as part of incremental build ( https://www.eclipse.org/m2e/documentation/m2e-making-maven-plugins-compat.html ), it could totally change the Eclipse config files as part of the build and Eclipse would react to those changes.

I got the same answer when I asked m2e project years ago.
Do m2e developers not want to see the need of their users?

The need is totally clear. And the current solution is usage of m2e connectors that cover this need.
If you can make a concrete better proposal of how to translate Maven settings to Eclipse settings, that would be welcome.

Cheers,

Back to the top