Re: [m2e-dev] eclipse-settings-maven-plugin future ?

Hi there,

Am 12.01.20 um 23:22 schrieb Mickael Istria:

On Fri, Jan 10, 2020 at 6:38 PM Hohwiller, Jörg <joerg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:joerg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    E.g. if you want your project to
    use checkstyle, it would be nice if checkstyle would be activated by
    m2e
    automatically when the project is imported.

What do you mean by "activated"?

I mean that in the project config the option "checkstyle activate for this project" should be checked. See attached screenshot.

Do you mean executed?
Nope.

If so, that's
totally doable if the Maven plugin uses the right APIs and declare capability to work as part of incremental build ( https://www.eclipse.org/m2e/documentation/m2e-making-maven-plugins-compat.html ), it can be configured to be executed during build: https://www.eclipse.org/m2e/documentation/m2e-execution-not-covered.html

However, if you expect m2e to configure the Eclipse checkstyle plugin magically,

I do not expect magic. I want a configuration option for maven users via their POM. This is what maven-eclipse-plugin solved perfectly and made users very happy. Did m2e developers look into the details of this plugin? Did you never use m2e for a large project where you want to have some project specific options configured for other Eclipse plugins? Checkstyle is just a very good example since it is so obvious and you have to ask yourself why every user of a project has to manually check the activation of Checkstyle for each module of your project.

then it's simply not doable as m2e cannot know of all Maven plugins so it cannot be the component responsible for specific integrations of Maven plugins (beyond orchestrating its execution as described above).

I do not expect m2e to know any black-magic or lists of maven plugins.
As Simon Bernard and tons of other users already requested since the last decade m2e could offer a simple config option to configure specific options that would be written to Eclipse project config (natures, features, additional config files files).
See [1] for details.

Either the Eclipse Checkstyle plugins needs to take care of reading the Maven configuration, or a M2E connector plugin needs to be written for Checkstyle, to instruct m2e how to process CheckStyle settings in the IDE.

I got the same answer when I asked m2e project years ago.
Do m2e developers not want to see the need of their users?
I hate committing tool config files to version-control and end up in merge conflicts or other disaster but indeed comitting .checkstyle files to git was so far my workaround.

Maybe also the suggestion to use maven-resource-plugin might be an option.
But things that maven-eclipse-plugin provided that "merged" specific XML into existing eclipse files would be very hard to do.

Most probably I should solve the problem in devonfw-ide as suggested if m2e is unwilling to support this...

Cheers
  Jörg

[1] https://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-eclipse-plugin/eclipse-mojo.html#additionalConfig