Re: [m2e-dev] How much m2e test suites cover of Maven ?

Hi all,

In my intent to improve m2e, I realize that one key criteria of sustainability for m2e project is the ability to interact well with Maven project (interacting more with the community, trying snapshots, identifying breaking or major issues, consolidating the non-CLI usage of Maven as APIs...). And, also, the other way round: Maven needs more feedback from downstream integrations like IDE or CI engines provide to make sure it remains easy to write tools or other bricks for it.

I've set up m2e code coverage for that locally (and submitting related patches to Gerrit and GitHub to the m2e project), and have included in the coverage report the plain Maven packages to measure how much m2e test suite covers Maven.
I build the HTML reports with Ant: https://github.com/mickaelistria/m2e-covering-maven/blob/master/coverage-report-build.xml against the version of Maven that's used by m2e (currently 3.5.3).

We can see that m2e tests roughly covers ~35% of Maven, and in a different story as the CLI.
I think this results are interesting for both m2e and Maven and I let you all have a look. In the future, I'd like to see those produced more frequently by m2e and -if it makes sense- aggregated with plain Maven test coverage data when m2e tries a snapshot or staging; with the goal of identifying parts of the code that are less reliable or critical.

Cheers,

Back to the top