[m2e-dev] IP issues + m2e as a "Type A" (license-check only for dependencies) ?

Hi all,

I was told that migrating to a newer Maven is a hard task for m2e in term of IP and that it doesn't help m2e committers in being productive.

Can you please clarify what's hard exactly? That's the kind of issues we can bring to Architecture Council for improvements. The IP team and EMO are really listening to such concerns these days and are willing to make efforts in order to simplify this. We just need to share our issues and to make sure Architecture Council and EMO IP team are informed so they'll evaluate improvements.

Also, it seems to me that m2e is a "Type B" Eclipse project, which makes that IP team checks more than licenses for dependencies; is it the case? If yes, would it be interesting for m2e stakeholders to simplify the IP constraint and move m2e to Type A which is "only" a license check that's mostly automated so CQ approval can go quite fast? It seems to me that would be profitable for the project and its contributors as it would reduce the cost of IP management when using newer Maven.

Cheers,
--
Mickael Istria