Re: [m2e-dev] "Can't write workspace state" ..?

I don't want to see the Eclipse error log be filled up with new content for *every* build. Will make it almost impossible for users of m2eclipse to report issues
about other plugins which only send content to error log that *really* are eclipse level errors ;)
"*really* are eclipse level errors" is a little bit undefined... what is a real error and what is not a real error?
"real" error is a plugin failing in doing its job and letting you know about it - i.e. an unexpected error.

It's stuff like this that I find too verbose - this is the error log when starting up:

IMO, all the errors (the red ones) in the screen shot u provided fall in this category.  They are real problems and they are not expected.
The warnings on the other hand... I'm not sure why they are warnings and not errors and I'm not sure why they are there - i.e. there's not enough info in the eclipse log to be able to say much about them.  On the other hand, they are not expected, so I think it's correct to see them in that log.

Ok - so there is an error about connecting - don't need to tell me (number of projects * number of attempts) times.

I agree it's not nice that the same warnings appear so many times.  But on the other hand it's not easy to "clean up" the log to show each error/warning only once.  I also believe that if something wrong happens a lot, it's better to know about it then to believe it was an isolated problem.  FWIW, I don't see those warnings on my machine - so it may be worth investigating what goes wrong there.  If you send me the corresponding m2e log file, I'll take a look.

Unrelated to your screen shot: I've seen projects where the eclipse log gets tons of warnings that don't mean much and could be safely ignored.  Unfortunately, for many errors/warnings that come from third party components, we can't really decide if they are important or not - we only get some generic exceptions or messages - since they are generic, all we can do is to push them to the log so the user can see them and decide what to do about it.

I assume there should not be a lot of errors on each build.  And, of course, not all build related errors are logged to the eclipse log.

Do u still see a lot of m2e related errors in the eclipse log if you bump the log level to ERROR for the EclipseLog appender in the logback config?
The noise level seems to be smaller even between the last two days updates so i'll run with the defaults some more - since that is what users will currently see.

/max

FYI, m2e tries to play nice with regard to the logback configuration: u can configure logback the standard way, so u can provide your own config file.  The config file provided by m2e is only the default config in case no other logback config file was provided.
Here's a link to logback configuration:
http://logback.qos.ch/manual/configuration.html#configFileProperty

Vlad

Back to the top