Re: [location-iwg] "Quality happens only when someone is responsible for it"

As a trainer I like that the "cut and paste" culture allows developers to get instant results when learning. Still at some point people have to grow up and learn about design, testing and other forms of housekeeping.

Two good defences:
- test coverage
- a change control procedure

About the change control procedure: lot of projects I work on have shifted over to an RFC approach in order combat this in a polite fashion.

An request for change procedure also helps to document up front what procedure an organisation can follow in order to take part in a project. This especially helps companies that are new to open source and are worried about it being an unmanaged time sink.
--
Jody Garnett