Re: [linuxtools-dev] Using the Time Graph Viewer and contributing to the project

Hi Alexandre,

Thanks for the answers (and sorry for the late reply!).

> Ok I see. Indeed the signal is not sufficient here, you want to be
> notified whenever the user is dragging. Wiring a listener here would
> make sense.
>
> You could push this patch to Gerrit, we'd be happy to look at it.

I'll do it, thanks.

> Sounds good! Just wondering, what do you mean by previous/next here?
>
> Also, I'm not sure if a checkbox would be really needed. You often see
> "filter text fields", which are text fields with a <[X] "button" on the
> right side. If there is something written in the box, only the maching
> elements are displayed. The user can either remove the text or click the
> button to remove the filter and see all the entries again.
>
> I'm not even sure if there is such a widget in SWT, but I feel it would
> work well here. Thoughts?

I admit I've been a bit cryptic here :)

I was thinking about not necessarily hiding the non-matching elements:
you can highlight the matching elements instead, and use a next/prev
button to navigate through the highlighted elements.
Finally, the checkbox would state if the non-matching elements are
actually displayed or not.

By the way, your solution seems simpler and more intuitive for the user.
The expected behavior should be something like: if there is something
written in the text box, only the maching elements (and possibly their
parents or sons nodes in the tree) are displayed.

> We may revisit the whole notion of the time graph viewers and
> TimeGraphCombo in the upcoming months. One feature request that we get
> more and more often is to be able to "align" the width of different time
> graph viewers, so that their X-axes are all the same. Right now, every
> view can have a different width, so even if their time range are
> synchronized with the TimeSynchSignal's, the position is not the same in
> every view, which is annoying.
>
> This means we could drop the notion of TimeGraphCombo completely then
> (the extra information for each label could go in the Properties view,
> for example). Which means we wouldn't use TreeViewer widgets, which
> means it would become doable/easier to also zoom those viewers
> vertically. Stay tuned!

This sounds great! I'll stay tuned.

Cheers,
Generoso