Re: [linuxtools-dev] Using the Time Graph Viewer and contributing to the project

Hi Generoso,

Glad to see you're interested in our trace viewer!

On 07/10/2014 07:13 AM, Generoso Pagano wrote:
(1) The possibility to add a "drag" time-interval selection-change listener,
     to be notified of the interval selection change in the gantt, while it is
     happening.
     --> I have already written the code for this (attached patch).

In our framework, we have the notion of signals (TmfSignal, etc.), and a common one is the TmfTimeSynchSignal, which is sent by any view where an active time range can be selected. That way, other views can react to the new time range. This is how the time range selection can be synchronized across views.

I don't know your specific use case, I'd be tempted to suggest you use something like the TmfTimeSynchSignal directly. But if you want to other view to react *only* to a selection from the Time Graph view, you could implement a new signal which is sent by the time graph view and only listened by the component your want.

Of course this would imply also importing the notion of TmfSignal's in your application, which you may or may not want to do ;) But if you plan to use the time graph view, this time-selection part would work as-is.

(2) Improve the view filter dialog, introducing a text field to easily find
     the elements of interest in the tree.

That sounds great! That filter dialog could really use some love. Interestingly, on Linux one can search the entries by using GTK's native search-as-you-type in this window. But it is still quite limited. A better, cross-platform solution would be a nice improvement.

(3) Introduce the vertical zoom in the viewer.

This sounds interesting too. Sometimes a user might want to look for something at a given time, without having to scroll through the whole thing up and down. However, I am not sure how this could easily be done within SWT. Mainly because of the "tree" part, on the left of the view, which is implemented using a SWT TreeViewer, which in turn defers to the native widgets, which usually have a fixed size. Patrick can probably give more details (and correct me) here. If you have some ideas we'd be glad to hear them though!

I would like to have some feedback about these ideas (Do you have plans on these
topics? Do you have hints or suggestions?).
Furthermore, I'd appreciate any advice about contributing to the project.

We use Gerrit for code contributions, which many Eclipse projects now use. You can find the instructions for setting it up at http://wiki.eclipse.org/Gerrit . But before throwing tons of patch on there, it's always good to first introduce yourself on the mailing list, explain what you are working on, how it should be implemented, etc. What you did, basically :)

Don't hesitate and let us know if you have any questions. Hope to see some collaboration in the future!

Cheers,
Alexandre

Back to the top