[linuxtools-dev] Using target definition files to build with maven

Hello,

I'm am looking at using target definition files to build the project in Maven/Tycho. See https://git.eclipse.org/r/#/c/28392/

This has two advantages:

1. The target files can be used both in the Maven build and inside Eclipse, which makes the dependencies consistent
2. It speeds up the "pre-lifecycle" phase of the build (resolving dependencies). In a normal build on Hudson, it saves about 3 mins. On my machine, a full compile with 'mvn clean package' (no tests) takes 4 mins instead of 7 mins.

However, it has one disadvantage: The target module has to be built first if you need to build only a specific submodule. This is a bit similar to how we had to build the license feature first before building a submodule, before the common license feature was made available. So for example, to build lttng/ one would have to:

cd releng/org.linuxtools.target
mvn clean install
cd ../lttng
mvn clean install

Let me know if you think this is reasonable.

Marc-Andre

Back to the top