Re: [linuxtools-dev] Gerrit forward only

> Hi everyone,
> What do you think of switching our gerrit configuration from cherry-pick to
> forward only ? This would remove the need for resetting your local clone
> after every review pushed and/or later merge/reset. It will not introduce
> any major drawback in my opinion but I would like to hear others.

I think it may be possible to avoid that issue by setting your merge strategy
to rebase (can be done per-branch, per-repo, or globally). I think it's easy
enough now to keep commits up to date, and not doing so with multiple commits
touching the same project *could* cause regressions. That would be one reason
to prefer forward merges.

I guess maybe there's less garbage collection needed to be done by git in a
forward merge since it uses the same commit object in a forward-merge
(unlike cherry-pick). We have had issues in the past with our repos needing
'git gc' run on them, but I would assume this is automated for all
repositories by now.

I don't have any strong preferences on this, but I could be missing something.

Cheers,
--
Roland Grunberg

Back to the top