Re: [linuxtools-dev] Gerrit forward only

CDT also uses cherry-pick, so I am curious to understand the advantage
of moving to fast forward only.  I'm not clear from the above what
use case it will improve.

> > It will not introduce any major drawback in my opinion but I would like to
> hear others.

The obvious one is that it forces to rebase even the smallest changes if they
are not reviewed right away.  With Gerrit's 'Rebase' button, this is not such
a big concern though.

> I think it may be possible to avoid that issue by setting your merge strategy to
> rebase (can be done per-branch, per-repo, or globally). I think it's easy
> enough now to keep commits up to date, and not doing so with multiple
> commits touching the same project *could* cause regressions. That would
> be one reason to prefer forward merges.

To be really safe about properly testing a patch on the exact version it will
be merged on, I see your point here.  We've never run into such a problem
though, as far as I know.

BR,

Marc

Back to the top