Re: [linuxtools-dev] TMF: Analysis requirement API

On 14-02-20 10:52 AM, Geneviève Bastien wrote:

> * The LTTng UST Memory usage analysis is a more tricky (and
> interesting!) case: It has events. Adding the context TID and procname
> will give a more interesting analysis, but the analysis can still do
> something without it.

That's interesting, we could have a distinction in the API  to know
whether a particular requirement is mandatory or not.

> But the user absolutely needs to do
> LD_PRELOAD=something-libc-wrapper.so on the command line. That cannot
> be done automatically from the LTTng control or through the LTTng
> profile (unless I'm mistaken). So that requirement will be a "manual
> intervention by the user".

Right now, we use a shell on the target machine via RSE/SSH, and we call
"lttng" by hand. We could pass those environment variables through. But
I hear there is some MI integration that might be coming eventually ;)
In that case perhaps options should be added to lttng-tools to expose
the usage of these preloadable libraries (and those options could also
be available through the MI).

All in all, this is something the Control view could handle.

>> Since TMF isn't only LTTng oriented and can be used for many trace
>> types, we didn't want to incline the analysis developer to provide
>> specific type requirements, but let him instead define his type and
>> values related. I understand that our primary analysis source is
>> LTTng, but we don't want to bend the development towards his needs.
>> If analyses are and will be only for LTTng, we might reconsider the
>> generic option.
>> The only compile-time guarantee you have right now is in the *Strings
>> interfaces (LTTngStrings, UstMemoryStrings, etc.). Is the generic way
>> of doing it might be problematic?
> I think the generic String approach is a very good start. It's easier
> and will allow to go all the way to obtaining the LTTng profile for
> the few available analysis to directly generate a trace for them. When
> that proof of concept is done, then it will be time to ask whether
> there is a more compiler-safe way to represent those requirements. But
> it's better to keep it simple for now.

Fair enough. But it should be clear what the 'String' should be, clearly
explained in the Javadoc at least.

Cheers,
Alex

Back to the top