Re: [linuxtools-dev] LTTng-TMF hack-a-thon, December 12

Hello

I'd like to give some pointers to discuss for the Tmf RCP (Tracing RCP or Trace Viewer). The Trace Viewer is a standalone application based on the Eclipse's Rich Client Platform. This application allows users to view and analyzes traces from a light-weight standalone application without having to load a full Eclipse IDE.

The Eclipse platform provides several user assistance components that together introduce the user to the product (=Trace Viewer) and supports the user when running the product. Using these components it will improve the first impression and user experience (especially for first time users).

  1. Using a CSS style sheet to create a better look and feel than the default Eclipse look and feel. By using this we can make the Trace Viewer look less like Eclipse. I've quickly tried that and I can provide an example for that. (see reference [1])
  2. Having a welcome page. A welcome page (for first time user) can provide quick references to documentation, external links (LTTng we page) cheat sheets etc. We can have a quick getting started reference there. (see reference [2])
  3. Context sensitive help. Currently we have a user guide that can be accessed through the help menu. However, it would be good to have context sensitive help. For example when having focus on the Events Table and then  pressing F1, the help for the Events Table should be presented. (see reference [3])
  4. Implementing Eclipse cheat sheets. With cheat sheets we can provide a way to guide a user through common and re-occurring tasks. This will help users to get familiar with the product. (see reference [4])
  5. Using customized status handler. This allows for a custom way of showing problems in the product to users. This handler associated to the product is intended to present the problem in the useful for users way. (see reference [5])
Of course there are other areas we need to look into to improve the user experience and for that, I'm looking forward hearing your ideas at the hack-a-thon.