Re: [linuxtools-dev] TMF: Expressing dependency information and displaying it

Hi Bernd,

Thanks for your feedback.

On 03/26/2013 10:08 AM, Bernd Hufmann wrote:
Hi Geneviève

Please see below.

BR,
Bernd

On Mon, Mar 25, 2013 at 11:58 AM, Geneviève Bastien
<gbastien@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

The dependency graph could be displayed also as a sequence diagram. It could
also be exported as a dot file and visualized in external tool like
graphviz.

TMF comes with Sequence Diagram Framework which can be easily
extended. So I would encourage to use this Framework to draw sequence
diagrams.
For more information about the TMF Sequence Diagram Framework see
http://wiki.eclipse.org/Linux_Tools_Project/TMF/User_Guide#TMF_UML2_Sequence_Diagram_Framework.

When we introduced the the sequence diagram framework we planned to
have a declarative way (e.g in a XML) to define how to translate
events to interactions and lifelines. This hasn't been done.
Currently, an example java implementation
(org.eclipse.linuxtools.tmf.ui.views.uml2sd.loader.TmfUml2SDSyncLoader.java)
exists as reference or base for further implementations. However,
maybe with the addition of a data driven state system through an XML
file it is a good time to also define a data driven sequence diagram.
Indeed that would be useful. Ideally, the sequence diagram could use the same XML schema as the one that will be used to describe the dependencies, that would itself be extended from what Florian and Aaron proposed (assuming it's XML). But I'd wait for that feature to be available before touching the sequence diagrams for dependency display.

Geneviève

Back to the top