Re: [linuxtools-dev] TMF and pluggable state providers

Hello Aaron

I'm really happy to see that the effort and work that has been done in
recent years  for the LTTng/TMF project (State System, improved time
chart widgets, Custom Parsers CTF etc.) attracts your interest and
your are working on extensions to it. I can't wait to see the code.

In the email thread below it was brought up to provide a GUI based
input for generating the XML description. First of all we would need a
graphical editing tool. Maybe we can create one by ourself using
Eclipse's GMF (Graphical Modelling Framework) or we can leverage what
was done already. Maybe, using Papyrus for a drawing a state diagram
could be used. From the graphical model we could create the XML file
using model-to-transformation (m2t). There are multiple Eclipse
Transformation Technologies available (e.g. xPand, xTend, JET) which
we could use for that. However, I agree with Alex that start with
manual editing of the file and once we ironed out all the issue with a
generated state system and time graph view, we can look into that.

Another thought, currently we discussed displaying states over time
using the time graph widgets. I'm wondering if we could create an
analysis tool that generates a state diagram from the trace. This
would allow to get a quick overview of the state machine the
application wants to implement. By having the state diagram, it would
be possible to compare the diagram with for example the state diagram
in the model. Such a tool would have to focus on one application,
process, resource etc because it wouldn't be possible all in one
diagram. Also challenging would be the handling of the time aspect,
i.e. same state changes will probably happen multiple times within a
trace.

Best Regards
Bernd