Re: [linuxtools-dev] Linuxtools unified launch

On 10/09/2012 04:58 PM, Wainer Moschetta wrote:
On 10/09/2012 05:51 PM, Jeff Johnston wrote:
On 10/09/2012 04:33 PM, Roland Grunberg wrote:
How to define which profile tool to use with this unified launch?
Because right now linuxtools
have Valgrind (and all the subtools), Oprofile, Perf ....

Maybe running all the available tools and providing all the results
in a "Profile" perspective?

Sorry to jump in the middle of the discussion ... I just feel that I
am missing something here.

Massif, Cachegrind, Memcheck, Helgrind, Perf, OProfile, Callgraph,
Gcov, GProf are all contributing to this unified launch. In most
cases the extent of this contribution means they contribute to
an extension point we've defined in the profiling launch plugin
(schema/org.eclipse.linuxtools.profiling.launch.provider.exsd).

I think running all available tools would be too much. The best
option is to run some default tool, and allow the user to change
their preferences should they wish to use another tool. Keep in
mind that most users may not know what profiling tools are out
there so having an option like "Profile Memory", and using
Valgrind's Memcheck plugin by default would be a very sane thing
to do.

You can find more information about this here :

http://wiki.eclipse.org/Linux_Tools_Project/Profiling/Unification

I have also created a first draft of a User's Guide:

  http://wiki.eclipse.org/Linux_Tools_Project/Profiling/User Guide

I would recommend create a new category only for Oprofile and Perf since
they are more than just timing profilers. In fact, they are hardware
events profilers.

That is a possibility. We should be able to support tools in multiple categories (with different default settings even...think SystemTap and all it can do). I would not put OProfile/Perf exclusively into this new category as an inexperienced user would be unlikely to know the tools enough to know what that they are and how to configure them. In my mind, Perf is the best for timing (no set-up, quick, no special access required, and reasonably accurate) and is the default pick for the timing category.

if you want the user perspective.

-- Jeff J.

Cheers,