Re: [linuxtools-dev] TMF - trace stream

Hi,

Currently we have minimal support for streaming in TMF that relies on a "pull" strategy i.e polling the target at regular intervals. The main "advantage" of polling is that it doesn't require an agent (or something similar) on the receiving end of the stream (the host). This is implemented in the TmfTrace and TmfExperiment classes with the support of the fStreaminginterval field.

This worked OK with the legacy LTTng (pre-2.0) but the upcoming LTTng 2.1 (real soon now) will have a more interesting "push" strategy that will likely affect the way we handle streaming and give us better insight on how to improve TMF's API.

Regards,
/fc