Re: [linuxtools-dev] API breaks and branching strategy

On Thu, Jun 28, 2012 at 10:47 PM, Alexandre Montplaisir
<alexandre.montplaisir@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hello Linux Toolers,
>
> We of the LTTng group already have some changes in the pipeline that
> will break our 1.0 API. If I understood correctly, the 1.1, 1.2, etc.
> releases (if applicable) will be based off the current stable-1.0
> branch, not the master. Does this mean we can switch our plugins to
> 2.0.0 in git master, and start pushing API-breaking changes right away
> (with the relevant "@since 2.0" annotations) ?

No. 1.0.z releases will be made from stable-1.0. And IBM guys are
going to make 1.1 at the end of July with focus on remote enablement
of tools. This work happens in master. I would say that if LTTng wants
to go to 2.0 and no one objects it being so soon  after our 1.0
release you can do that development in feature branch in order to not
break the api for 1.1. Also you should be sure that whatever changes
you plan for 2.0 will last for longer period as with every next major
release I would like to see us really having an API that we stick to
for a year.
So what does other think about 2.0 somewhen in November? I'm pretty
sure that we would have enough to release by then but does all the
subprojects agree on breaking the API?

Alex