[linuxtools-dev] API breaks and branching strategy

Hello Linux Toolers,

We of the LTTng group already have some changes in the pipeline that
will break our 1.0 API. If I understood correctly, the 1.1, 1.2, etc.
releases (if applicable) will be based off the current stable-1.0
branch, not the master. Does this mean we can switch our plugins to
2.0.0 in git master, and start pushing API-breaking changes right away
(with the relevant "@since 2.0" annotations) ?

We do not plan to break anything in the stable-1.0 branch. If really
needed, we would augment the API (with "@since 1.1" for example), but
those same new methods would have to be marked "@since 2.0" in master.
This might cause us extra maintenance work, with cherry-picking
conflicts and so on, but we'd rather live with this than having to hold
off API changes for months.

In short: any objections? ;)
Or, does anybody know a better solution to what we're trying to do?

Alexandre Montplaisir
DORSAL lab,
École Polytechnique de Montréal

Back to the top