Re: [linuxtools-dev] State of remote launch capability in linux tools

On 09/26/2011 06:49 PM, Corey Ashford wrote:

Hey folks,

I'd like to understand where things are with regard to remote launch.

We currently have a working remote launcher for Valgrind over PTP's RDT
facility.  Our implementation essentially re-implements the
org.eclipse.linuxtools.profiling.launch.remote.RemoteConnection package
using RDT's API instead of RSE, and then uses the PTP Remote tab for
configuring the remote connection.  To implement RemoteConnection and
the launcher, I copied a number of protected methods from the PTP code,
and used them in RemoteConnection and in the launch delegate.  I will
post up this code in a bugzilla as an enhancement request, and example
implementation.

I am starting to work on a similar implementation for an OProfile remote
launcher, and we may end up also doing similar things for remote gprof,
and perf as well.

However, I know that Jeff Johnston was/is exploring a different
long-term strategy for remote launching, providing remote access,
perhaps using another layer on top of RDT.

Any news on this front?

Still on-going. It is a different scenario whereby we simply support RDT projects with the same launcher/UI that's in place today.

So, an RDT project simply selects to run valgrind as a normal local project would. The setting up of the RDT connection, etc... has been done in project creation.

The idea would be to have a common launcher under-the-covers much like Autotools uses the CDT launcher today for its tool invocations and to access files using RDT instead of directly.

-- Jeff J.

Thanks

- Corey

Back to the top