Re: [linuxtools-dev] PTP/RDT and remote linuxtools

Hi Wainer,

No estimated date on the prototype. I have it currently in a private git branch. I have done the first part which was to indirectly reference files and launching via a proxy. I still need to create the extension and plug-in part so that RDT can be connected optionally.

I am also going to create a separate git branch where I directly use RDT and avoid the need for a proxy. This is per the discussion with Greg and Corey regarding that the RDT local base is light-weight and direct access should be a better/cleaner design.

I then need to play with the RDT code to get an Autotools RDT project wizard that will create a remote Autotools project.

There is no cross-compiling as it will follow the RDT model whereby the project source resides on the remote system and the build is also done on the remote system. Cross-compiling is a bit of a can of worms due to the vast number of system setups you would need to be compatible with (e.g. think platforms, tools, and installed libraries). It is much cleaner and cheaper to keep the project remote and build on the system it will ultimately run on.

This model differs from the Valgrind remote plug-in which currently allows you to ship your executable just to a compatible remote system and have it run and profiled there. Eventually, we would like to have the user simply run Valgrind on a remote RDT project the same way it is run locally (for the most part).

Regards,

-- Jeff J.