[linuxtools-dev] Getting Rid of Changelogs

I have been thinking about this for a while, but was prompted by Andrew's email [1] to send a message to the list.

Changelogs are pain to deal with, they don't automerge, and the authorship information is redundant.

On the other hand I find them useful in two ways: they force me to go over my patch one more time, and they provide a structure for creating a good commit message (I copy and paste my Changelog entry in the commit message).

So my suggestion is we get rid of Changelogs, follow the format outlined on the wiki [2] and referenced by Andrew's message [1], and perhaps add a requirement to have a bullet for each modified file.

WDYT ?

  Sami

[1] http://wiki.eclipse.org/Linux_Tools_Project/Git#Commit_messages
[2] http://dev.eclipse.org/mhonarc/lists/linuxtools-dev/msg01203.html