Re: [linuxtools-dev] Libhover support for libraries with GObject Introspection

Hey David,

Sorry for the late reply. I wanted to go through your email and get some concrete feature requests and see what we can do and what we can add to our one-day-maybe list. I am not a GNOME hacker so i am doing a lot of guessing after brief googling to understand what you mean. See if you can help me out here.

I brought this up since one of the hard things about working with
GObject (and the GNOME platform in general) is defining or extending new
types (such as classes, interfaces, flags and enums), maybe it would be
nice to have support for that in Eclipse - just like the CDT supports
that for C++ and its object model. So for example, you could use this to
easily add properties or virtual functions to a classed type.

I understood this to mean one of two things. There is information in the meta data that could help add some automation when extending classes classed types, or that eclipse knowledge of C can be used to generate the meta data for newly added types/properties, or both :)

Can you give me a pointer to a tutorial for doing this manually. And what specifically is that CDT functionality that you mentioned which is equivalent to this ?

Additionally, having support for the various tools in our toolchain..
including glib-mkenums(1), glib-gensmarshal(1), glib-compile-schemas(1),
gdbus-codegen(1).. and UI design via Glade .. and also the i18n stuff,
pkg-config(1), .desktop file handling, D-Bus .service file handling. So
much stuff.

Gotcha!

Handling multiple programming languages for one app in the IDE might be
nice too - this is something we're trying to push; e.g. write the
low-level parts of your app in C and the UI/Chrome in Python or JS.

Yes, this is an area of concern. I have sometimes been able to improve this by creating multiple eclipse projects for a single multi language project. Maybe someone else on this list can give more information about the state of things in this area.

To sum up... writing (not to mention understanding) a GNOME app is an
incredibly complicated process and I fear that it turns away a lot of
potential contributors. So that's why IDE support would be awesome.

True. I should mention that if there is ever an interest in the GNOME world in working on some of the very GNOME specific features in the IDE we would be able to help in giving mentorship and guidance. Hmm.. maybe we can do some SoC projects.

Oh.. and then there's the fact that our platform changes almost every
six months - for example we no longer want people to use GConf (use
GSettings instead) or Bonobo (use D-Bus instead).. and we switched to a
new D-Bus library recently as well (dbus-glib ->  GDBus).

:)

Then again, people who use GObject typically don't use Eclipse so it's
kinda a chicken and egg problem... but there's this quote from the movie
Field of Dreams that says something like... if you build it they will
come :-)

Good point.

Anyway, tough problem - thanks so far for your effort! Sorry for the
rambly mail!

Thanks for you interest in Eclipse and the feature requests.

  Sami

Back to the top