[linuxtools-dev] TCF and remote profiling

Hi Francois,

I have been working on reviewing the remote Valgrind work that Elliott implemented before he finished his term here at Red Hat. It uses TCF. In getting it to work I had to do some back-flips as I was using the TCF code found in DSDP, but I think it has potential (e.g. the remote valgrind implementation used the TCF agent provided without any enhancements required). Set up seems to be the biggest hurdle at this point, but I believe that could be ironed out.

Another one of our interns, Lukas Berk, recently attended an LTTng conference call and asked a few questions on my behalf. I was interested in one response which said that LTTng was not using TCF anymore because it was proprietary. Did he interpret this correctly and if so, can you give more details? The code in DSDP is EPL'd so at worst case it should be modifiable barring any patent issues.

Regarding TCF, I believe it is supposed to move to the CDT but I haven't seen it appear there yet. If you know more details, please let me know.

-- Jeff J.

Back to the top