Re: [linuxtools-dev] Parsing c++ doxygen comments.

 Hi German,

The current libhover design is not a dynamic one.

While the libstdc++ libhover support is based upon doxygen comments in the libstdc++ code, this is done far in advance. A parser is run on the libstdc++ doxygen documentation output to create a binary which is just a serialized version of the libhover Java classes that make look-up quick. This is essential because a hover event has only a short time window. As part of the hover event we need to look in the CDT index to get the context of the method being hovered over (i.e. which class).

The parser that creates this binary is provided as part of the source code for the linux tools libstdc++ libhover plug-in. It particularly elegantly written since it is meant to be run as a utility and not during the Eclipse session.

With regards to dynamic libhover doxygen support, there isn't anything in the works.

Briefly thinking about it, I believe this would be best handled by the CDT parser which is parsing the source and populating the CDT model. It would be relatively easy for them to interpret doxygen comments during this process and thus make it very quick to access them when needed. It is too late to get this into the Indigo release which will be shortly released. I would recommend opening an RFE against the CDT parser or editor components.

Regards,

-- Jeff J.