Re: [linuxtools-dev] Updating from nightly builds

By this do you mean which package to install from here:

   http://www.eclipse.org/downloads/

?  The problem is that there are multiple choices.  One can install any
of them, really, and then install the Linux Tools components on top.

I see, this would again nicely fit in the "getting started"; and there is the problem of installing the components on top "system-wide" I guess.

- how to add/update and remove components systemwide

In Fedora, we use the dropins mechanism for this.  It's fragile and the
p2 developers would like to get rid of it so we are planning to
investigate alternative methods.  In the meantime, this may be of
interest to you:

   http://wiki.eclipse.org/Equinox_p2_Shared_Install

Thanks for the link.

It looks like you installed something as the root user and then tried to
update it as a non-root user.

Yes, haven't found how to update "system-wide", would running Eclipse as root do it?!?

It would help me to help you if I understood your requirements and
expectations.  What exactly are you trying to accomplish?  I know it's
foreign to you as a *nix user, but the most common way of "installing"
Eclipse is to download something and extract it in a user-writable
location.

I trying to see how users will see the "Eclipse Linux Tools" (Download page) and also get regular updates since things are moving fast.

- as root, extract the Linux Tools EPP package to /opt/eclipse
- as a regular user, run /opt/eclipse/eclipse
- as a regular user, add the main Helios update site since it was not
   persisted into the user's installation

Did that, the problems started when adding the nightly updates.

I could install/update everything as a user, while a good solution for system install gets worked out hopefully. Thanks for the quick and detailed answer!

Back to the top